As we all know Instagram continues to lead the pack with its innovative features and updates, and its Broadcast Channel is the latest addition.
If you’re an Instagram user, you would have recently noticed an influx of notifications popping up on your phone from users inviting you to join their broadcast channel. But if you’re wondering what it is and how it can benefit you, then you’ve come to the right place. Let’s jump straight in!
What are Instagram broadcast channels?
Instagram's new broadcast channel is a feature designed to enhance the user experience by allowing creators and businesses to connect with their audience in a more dynamic and engaging way.
It allows creators to send one-way messages to their Instagram followers or paid subscribers with text, photos, videos, polls and voice messages.
Creators can reach all followers who’ve joined their channels, but followers can’t reply. But what they can do is react to messages with emojis and vote in polls. This allows creators to have a more direct line to communicate with their followers. They can use their broadcast channels to share their latest updates and behind-the-scenes moments, and even create polls to crowdsource feedback from their audience.
How do you create an Instagram broadcast channel?
As an Instagram Creator you can create a broadcast channel in a few simple steps. Here’s how:
- From the Instagram app, tap the paper airplane icon at the top right of your feed to access your messenger.
- Select the pencil and paper icon in the top right corner to write a new message.
- Tap “Create broadcast channel”. From here, you can:
- Enter a channel name.
- Choose an audience for your channel.
- Choose when your channel ends.
- Choose to show your channel on your profile.
- Then tap “Create broadcast channel” again at the bottom.
How do you invite followers to join your channel?
Once you’ve created your channel, you probably now want to invite your followers to join. You can invite people to join your channel in a few ways:
- Send your first message on the channel - subscribers will receive an invitation to join.
- Share an invitation link to the channel.
- Share a message from the channel to your story - tap and hold a message form the channel, then tap “Share to story”. People that can view your story can tap the image of the message to find and join the broadcast channel.
- Pin the channel link to your profile - subscribers can easily find and join your channel.
Tips for using Instagram broadcast channels
When it comes to maximising the effectiveness of Instagram broadcast channels, take into account the following tips to elevate your communication and engagement with your audience:
Share voice notes
Add a personal touch to your channel by sending a positive message or signing a song. Whatever it is, voice notes create an intimate connection with your followers.
Promote your channel
Once you’ve created a channel, make sure you add it to your profile or share it to your stories to ensure easy access for all your followers to find and join.
Personalise your channel
To help set the tone and expectations for your audience, give your channel some personality. Make sure your channel stands out by giving a descriptive title, adding a welcome message and setting the intentions of your channel.
Collaborate with others
Collaborators can play a valuable role in your channel. They can engage in conversations, moderate discussions, and contribute to the overall content.
Use interactive features
By using features such as polls and question cards it enables you to gather real-time feedback from your audience.
Direct line to different audiences
If you have multiple groups or topics to address within your follower base, then create separate channels so you tailor your content accordingly to each group.
Instagram Broadcast Channels FAQ
How do you join an Instagram broadcast channel?
To join a broadcast channel, tap the notification and then tap "Join broadcast channel". Once you've joined a broadcast channel, you can view messages in your inbox. Only followers who join the channel with receive subsequent notifications for new updates.
How do you turn off Instagram broadcast channel notifications?
If you find yourself overwhelmed by notifications, here’s how to turn them off.
1. Turn off broadcast channel invitations from all creators:
- Open the Instagram app and navigate to your profile.
- To access the menu, tap on the three lines.
- Scroll down and select “Setting and privacy”.
- Tap on “Notifications".
- Find the “Messages and calls” section and tap on it.
- Scroll down and turn off “Broadcast channel invitations” by choosing the off option.
2. Mute broadcast channel message notifications:
- In the Instagram app, tap on the Messenger icon at the top right.
- Tap on the broadcast channel whose notifications you wish to turn off.
- Select the bell icon in the top right corner to mute any new messages. If you wish to turn them back on, just repeat the same steps.